Wednesday 17 October 2007

THE SURREALISTIC WORLD OF JIM WARREN


War and Peace

The idea for this painting came to me one day while I was watching the Navy’s Blue Angels perform at an air show at MacDill Air Force base in Tampa, Florida. I was struck by their simple grace and beauty, which I found to be remarkably similar to the grace and beauty of a group of dolphins swimming in the ocean. But even more striking was the contrast between the concepts that it represented War & Peace... so much on the minds of everyone since September 11, 2001.
JIM WARREN is an artist I have been fond of for many years. I have posted a few of his images here and there but it is time I shared the beauty of his work with you. Fine art is, after all, fine art, and meant to be enjoyed by everyone.

Folks, meet Jim Warren.



Born: Nov 24, 1949 in Long Beach, CA to Don and Betty Warren. Jim's brother Rick was 2 and his sister Kathy was 5.


Beginnings: "I started painting at age 1, like all children. Went through the usual string of career choices such as: artist, magician, artist, rock star, artist etc. I officially decided in high school in 1967 that an artist, a 'Rich and Famous' one at that, was what I was going to be!"


Tools
: Traditional oil paint on stretched canvas which I coat with a gesso primer. Only paintbrushes are used to paint with and NO airbrush, as people have sometimes thought.


Art Training
: "I'm basically self taught. I learned some basics in my high school art class. At college I attended several life-drawing classes, and always studied the great masters at museums."


Philosophy of Art
: "To hell with the rules...paint what you like."


Jim Warren is best described as a cross between Salvador Dali and Norman Rockwell; his work ranges from his own brand of surrealism, to paintings of social and environmental commentary, to those simply celebrating the beauty of nature. Many of these paintings, along with high quality limited edition Giclee on canvas prints, are available through some of the top galleries in the United States, most notably the Wyland Gallery chain. Through his 35 year history of making himself known and winning awards, Jim has proven that he is the 'MASTER OF IMAGINATION'. Enjoy a sampling of fine art, fresh from the mind of Jim Warren. I am also putting his own commentary beneath his art. To be truly appreciated, these thumbs need to be enlarged.



Inspirations


Although I have always felt it important for an artist to find his OWN style, there were many artists in my early days whose styles influenced me in various ways. Here I have painted a tribute to four of those artists. Andy Warhol (Simple yet thought provoking ideas, and his obsession with "Fame") Salvador Dali (Imagination and his "Hell with the rules" attitude) Monet (Beautiful nature scenes that remind us of better and simpler time periods) Norman Rockwell (For his portrayal of everyday people whose expressions alone tell the whole story) This painting is one of several that celebrate my 35th anniversary as a professional artist.



Motherly Love


Sometimes I think all this world really needs is simply a little old fashioned Motherly Love.



Against the Wind

After the release of this Bob Seger album in 1980, I was surprised to hear that some people were buying it to frame the cover as well as for the music. I decided now to release a larger version of the cover printed on canvas so it can again be enjoyed as framed art.

The original painting of Against The Wind has been in Bob Seger's possession since I painted it in 1980. When he was inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in 2004, he chose this painting as his special gift to be donated to the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame museum in Cleveland, Ohio.



Alien Pregnant by Elvis


I hope this cover is not taken as an insult to the great Elvis. It is actually a spoof on the ridiculous stories about celebrities that the tabloids makeup and the silly computer enhanced photos that they use on the covers. Although this book is basically sci-fi/ fantasy, to me it is really modern day fiction.




Rising Son


Although I have a son who is now 12, he did not model for this painting, and has not yet complained to me about that fact.



Seven Eagles


Eagles to me symbolize bravery and true patriotism in America which I sometimes feel has dwindled in recent years. The mountains symbolize the beauty that is in America, as well as in every country on earth. I think we should keep our eyes on the mountain a little more. Can you find the seven eagles?




Trees of Life

I thought it was intriguing how all of life depends on other life to survive. I guess that's partly where the phrase "Circle of Life" comes from.




Don't Mess With Mother Nature


Growing up in Long Beach, California, I discovered at an early age the impact technology was having on the environment. Many years ago, hundreds of offshore oil wells were constructed and placed on islands a few miles out from the Long Beach coastline. Each one, beautifully decorated to appear as condominiums, was pleasing to the eye. But the fact remained that damage was being done. The water surrounding the refineries had lost its splendor. The crystal blue waters that had once crashed upon the shoreline were now gone. Even though they tried to hide it, the truth was, "You can't fool Mother Nature."




Earth Love it or Lose it Number 1

One day, by chance, I photographed my niece Kristen atop a table. I noticed her look of concern and hesitation when she realized how high she was. I remembered my own vulnerabilities as a child and the fears I had about the unknown world around me. One small child in an uncertain world. Earth Love it or Lose it. Appearing on billboards, magazine covers, posters, and prints, this painting became a visual representation of the environmental movement of the early 90’s.



Earth Love it or Lose it Number 2




Intellect


While shopping for an apartment in 1977, an 82 year old apartment manager came to the door and I was instantly struck by his very long hair and beard. He reminded me of one of my earlier paintings that I did in 1975 titled "The Wise Man".

W
hile outside by the pool I told him that I was an artist and asked him if I could take pictures of him and had him take out his wallet to read as if it was a book. I painted him completely as is, including every hair on his beard which took about 15 hours for just that alone.



Seven Horses


As a kid, I always enjoyed those drawings in activity books with the faces and animals hidden in it. But they were often too easy, even for your average half-witted 10 year old such as myself. So I painted "Seven Horses", where each horse is a little harder than the next to find, until the seventh, which is almost impossible unless you're Einstein, who is not alive. So if you find six, here is a hint for the seventh: "Even if you can't find him, there is proof that he exists"



Seven Dolphins


This is the second in my series of hidden animals and marine life. Like life itself, some of it is easy, and some is a little more challenging.Good luck and stay tuned for the next ones. Can you find the seven dolphins?




Land and Sea




Child's Play


Can you remember when you were a child and had no restrictions on where your imagination could lead you? It's as if you had a magic brush that you could wave and make the world become whatever you wanted it to be. Were we really supposed to grow out of that?




Mother Nature's Little Helper


Little girls, with their very presence, seem to brighten up the world as if they were Mother Nature's special helpers. I suppose this was inspired by my own daughter whom I start the day off with...




Nature's Embrace


Here we have the woman, symbolized by the soft and flowing ocean waves, and the man, symbolized by the strong and unshaken rock. Love is as natural as nature itself.



Living on the Edge



Fearless




Lady Liberty


As long as people want Liberty, Liberty will always stay alive. That is the basic idea of this painting but also I love to paint the Statue of Liberty as I have always felt it is a truly beautiful piece of art.




Stairway to Heaven


Everyone has their own beliefs about what Heaven is, whether religiously, spiritually or just musically! (Led Zeppelin) The one thing I found in common with each person though is that they do believe, or at least have hope, that there is a higher and better place to go to. That's what my Stairway to Heaven is about.




Hawaiian Dream


While stranded on an a Hawaiian island after 9/11, I had the opportunity to explore the beauty of Hawaii which was quite surreal in contrast to the tragic events taking place in New York.




Seven Hearts

This is the third in my series of hidden objects, animals and marine life. Like LOVE itself, it is elusive and hard to locate in the real world. Can you find the seven hearts?




Eye of the Storm


Living in Florida for the past ten years has been a constant fear that during storm season this unstoppable, unpredictable monster with a human name will make it's way right into my neighborhood. So far it's decided to pass us by.



Girl With the Wavy Hair




Love Makes the World Go Round


Although this is a painting about romance, it also inspired by the world affairs where the countries of the world are having the same problem many married couples have. They can't communicate and simply get along.




The Discovery


People have often asked me if the ideas for my paintings come to me in my dreams, which I let them know that no they never have, until now that is.

This is the very first painting that I ever did that I dreamt, woke up with it fresh on my mind, thought it over for a moment and said "Hey, That's actually an interesting idea. I am going to paint that"

And per my dream, I actually ripped a hole into the canvas.
(Limited editions of this painting will also have an actual rip)



Fly Like an Eagle

After doing many anti war paintings in the 60's, I thought it would be a more patriotic tribute to the U.S. warplanes who fly proudly like an Eagle in the sky. Especially appropriate now... and a subject so very much on the minds of people everywhere since September 11, 2001.




My Mother's Masterpiece


People often ask me if I was an artist as a child. Well I guess I was just like any other kid was, except my paintings included such things as this five legged pink pig with a red square on it!

Now, for a great blast from the past.

AGAINST THE WIND ~ BOB SEGER





5 comments:

  1. I love your work. My teacher wants us to do a analysis of an artist's painting that we find inspiring, and i want to do one of your works but dont know which one, they are all brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is a most skilled artist and you are welcome to use anything here of course. Most of these images can be found on line if you "google" Jim Warren surreal art. His site is quite lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am doing a school project where we compare books to paintings and I am using your stairway to Heaven. I was wondering what your inspiration for this painting was?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm confused. Would you have us smile and spend a long time enjoying your wonderful art, or scowl and spend a long time getting all worked up and spewing hatred for the Jewish people? I don't really have time for both. If I could just throw some books on a bonfire instead, I might just have time for studying the art.. Please advise.
    Joe needs to know

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Joe. You can do both if you want! If you look at the list of interesting sites to the right, you will see a lot of them are dedicated to art. A lot of them are dedicated to the common enemy. Some are dedicated to... the frivolous. The soul needs art in any shape or form and there too, is ample room to rant and rave. Check out this old post of mine and see where the two meet. The cultural war... THE GREAT TWENTIETH CENTURY ART SCAM UPDATED OR HOW ARROGANCE, GREED AND FOLLY NEARLY DESTROYED 2500 YEARS OF WESTERN ART ~ http://snippits-and-slappits.blogspot.ca/2013/04/the-great-twentieth-century-art-scam.html

      Delete

If your comment is not posted, it was deemed offensive.