Monday 27 April 2009

THE DEATH OF A MARTYR

Heaven 05 by Sven Geier

Last winter, whilst the Israelis were pouring rain and hell fire upon the people of the Gaza Strip, most of the images shown by media were those of women and children. Not so much attention was given to the men. In fact, the men were almost ignored. But Palestinian men were very heavily targeted.


I searched everywhere for a breakdown of deaths that included males in their statistics and found none. None. Accordingly to almost all statistics, only women, children, minors and Hamas members were killed. Does this mean that, due to gender alone, males, especially young males, were assumed to be terrorists?

Here is a typcial example of findings:
"The PCHR said 894 of the dead were civilians, including 280 children and minors, age 17 and under, as well as 111 women. Of the remaining 390 dead, 167 were members of Hamas' civil police, many of them killed on the job during Israel's surprise attack on dozens of security compounds on the first day of the war "

In a powerful series of photos by Palestinian Peace worker/journalist/photographer, Samah Habeeb, taken in one of the hospital emergency rooms, I found this series of the passing of a young martyr. As I examined at the shots, I realized that Sameh had actually filmed the young man's last moments of life ~ captured the moment his spirit flew free from his fatally injured flesh.

For weeks I had been looking at brutal images of the dead and dying, but the passing of this young man upset me more than most. For many days, my spirit was dark; every time I closed my eyes I saw pain and suffering his eyes.

However, I did not post these photos at the time because I did not want his passing to be lost in the horrendous mountains of blood, bones, and broken bodies already stunning the world and awakening them to the brutality that is Israel.


It is now time to honour this young man. I do not know his name. Nor have I any idea of what he was doing when he was injured. All I know is that he must be honoured, his passing acknowledged. And his family, may they heal from this loss, taking solace from the knowledge that he has found peace.

WARNING: these images are extremely graphic.

A believer is never tired of hearing about good deeds
until he enters Paradise.
~ The Prophet, as reported by Abu Sayeed al-Khodri


Death is the easiest of all things after it,
and the hardest of all things before it. ~ Abu Bakr

To God belong all the secrets of the heavens and the earth.
The business of the final moment will be accomplished
in the twinkling of an eye, or even less time.
God has power over all things. ~ Qu'ran, An-Nahl, Surah 16:77

My Lord, how great my desire to meet You, how earnest my hope of Your reward. O Most Gracious, Hope of all hope, O Adored by all, if I be unworthy of You, and my endeavors not deserving of devotion, then gladly shall I confess to my infirmities, my sins. For who could be more forgiving than Yourself? But should You choose to chastise me, I will satisfy myself in the knowledge that no one could be more just than You. ~ Sha'wanna, "Rabi'a the Mystic"

Allah is compassionate and loves compassion in all things.
~ The Prophet, as reported by A'ishah bint Abi Bakr


You sometimes see the earth dry and barren. But as soon as we send down rain, the earth begins to swell and stir, putting forth radiant flowers of every kind. This demonstrates that God is truth; he gives life to the dead, and has power over all things. ~ Qur'an, Al-Hajj, Surah 22:5b-6

Your God is one God. There is no god but him.
He is merciful and compassionate.
~ Qu'ran, Al-Baqara, Surah 2:163

We shall test your faith by means of fear and hunger and loss of wealth and lives and crops, but give good tidings to those who endured with courage, who in hardship say, "To Allah we belong and to Him shall we return." ~ Qur'an, Al Baqara, Surah 2:155-56


Strengthen me, my lord,
for I am overcome with feebleness.
Ennoble me once more,
for I have been cast down.
Sustain me, Lord,
for I am impoverished.
~ From the prayer book, "Al-Hizbul-A'zam"

Fear is a state of darkness in which the soul wanders,
bewildered, seeking help,
and then comes hope as a ray of light,
and grace prevails.
~ Al-Sarraj, "Rabi'a the Mystic"

Those admitted to Paradise shall experience true bliss.
Never shall they know want, nor will they suffer old age.
~ The Prophet Muhammad, as reported by Abu Hurairah

Into the Light by Sven Geier

Thank you, Sameh, for sharing your work so generously with the rest of the world.

CONTACT SAMEH:
Sameh A. Habeeb, B.A.
Photojournalist & Peace Activist
Humanitarian, Child Relief Worker
Gaza Strip, Palestine
Mob: 00972599306096
Tel: 0097282802825
E-mail: Sam_hab@hotmail.com
Sameh.habeeb@gmail.com
Skype: Gazatoday, Facebook: Sameh A. habeeb
Web: www.gazatoday.blogspot.com
Daily Photos:http://picasaweb.google.com/sameh.habeeb

Sven Geier's wonderful Fractual Art can be seen at THIS site.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If your comment is not posted, it was deemed offensive.