Monday 13 June 2011

RECYCLE AN OLD T-SHIRT INTO A GROCERY BAG

This is very different from my usual offerings but it really caught my eye and is a great idea for that old AC/DC or Pink FLoyd T-Shirt that you have worn to death. I have an ancient Salem, Massachusetts T with a huge silver pent that I have not worn in years. Now I know what to do with it!

By Delia Randall, 06/09/11

Produce mesh bags are the new reusable shopping totes, but why buy when you can make your own for next to nothing? Delia Randall of Delia Creates shows us how to recycle an old T-shirt ~ you know, the one with all the moth holes and mystery stains ~ into an adorable veggie carrier. "I'm not the most green person," she tells Ecouterre. "But I do believe in taking care of our earth, and I think the point is to try. The more I try to repurpose old materials and cut down on waste, the easier it gets to be more eco-minded. And every effort counts, even if just a little bit." Did we mention these bags are off-the-charts cute, too?

STEP ONE

Take an old T-shirt and turn it inside out. Draw a bag shape you like. (You can make it as small or large as you want.)
,

 

STEP TWO

Cut through both layers so you have two identical pieces. You can leave the shirt’s hem intact or snip it off.

 

STEP THREE

Stitch the two pieces together all the way around, leaving the bag’s opening untouched.
.

STEP FOUR

To prevent fraying, either serge or apply a narrow zigzag stitch to the edge.


STEP FIVE

Use a ruler and ballpoint pen to draw dashes across the fabric. Important: Leave room four inches from the top for your handle.

 

 

STEP SIX

Using scissors or a rotary cutter, snip along the lines, making sure to stagger your cuts. Cut a longer slit two inches from the top ~ this will be your handle ~ and shape the sides if you wish.


 

 

STEP SEVEN

Then streeeeeetch the bag.



STEP EIGHT
That’s it! If you wash and dry your bag, the slits curl up a bit and it looks even better. You can use them for produce, as the name implies, or at the beach for your sandals.

Cute, huh?

2 comments:

  1. That's not a bad idea.

    I bought a hammock made out of strips of spongebob t-shirts once for $1. The fabric was unsuitable for a hammock, so I dismantled it and knitted a couple pairs of slippers.

    For the last 5 years, I've either made my own clothes, or procured them from the dumpster. Between that, eating simple generic foods from an employee-owned grocery store, and spending only $20 a month on gas, I figure I'm doing as much as I can to starve the beast. More than most, anyway.

    Thanks Noor :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done Blammo. I too am the ultimate non consumer except for the occasional piece of clothing. But even so not so much. Shoes, I have been wearing the same pair of really comfortable top quality sneakers for years. Nope not a fancy dresser LOL.

    But I have one thing to suggest, my friend. By eating generic foods from stores your body may be paying a price. I raised my kids on made from scratch everything. No junk cereals, no premade crap, no MacDonalds.

    My only luxury is buying natural, GMO free groceries. It is easy enough to prepare healthy food cheaply. Fresh stuff can cost more but not if you have access to a grower or a garden or food growing method all your own. That is important, we all know that generic foods are laced with NWO crap designed to lower vitality and health.

    Please consider this, my friend.

    ReplyDelete

If your comment is not posted, it was deemed offensive.