Friday 20 January 2012

THE OLD WOMAN AND THE ADDER


January 20, 2012

Long ago, an old woman lived up on the side of Fujiyama. She grew herbs and made artworks and was known as a talented healer. 

Late one autumn, on returning from the town and a successful sale of that summer’s crop, an abrupt fall of snow occurred and she was still miles from her mountainside home. 

On her return home, She came upon a snake on the path, likewise caught by the snow and too stiff to reach shelter. 

“P-P-Please help me!” cried the snake. “I shall surely die here!” 

The old woman said, “You are a poisonous snake and you will surely bite and kill me if I try to help you.” 

“No, I shall be so grateful”, said the snake. 

Against her better judgment, she picked up the cold, stiffening adder and hurried home. 

On arriving, she built a fire and put the snake on a pillow in front of the fire to get warm. 

“There are plenty of mice in the barn; you can stay there until spring”.

After some time, the snake could move again. When the old woman went to pick up the snake to take it to its new home, the snake bit her on the hand. 

“Ouch!! She cried, terrified at having been bitten by the poisonous predator. “You bit me after I saved your life and you promised not to bite me!” she said.

“Now I shall get sick and die!”

“You have no one to blame but yourself” he said. “You knew I was a snake when you picked me up.”

3 comments:

  1. Miko, I LOVE what you did with the story and also agree fully with your political addition.

    Dear Readers, I recommend you go and check out Miko's Blog to see how she treated this parable of the Adder and the Old Woman. You won't be disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Domo arigatou gozaimasu, Noor san.

    ReplyDelete

If your comment is not posted, it was deemed offensive.