Wednesday 24 March 2010

FACEBOOK ~ DOES WHAT HAPPENS IN FB STAY IN FB?

"By using Facebook, you are consenting to have your personal data transferred to and processed in the United States". "This may include sharing information with other companies, lawyers, agents or government agencies."

One of the first thing many are asked these days is "Are you on Facebook"? Followed by, "Don't worry, I'll find you". Which is actually scary. FB is the new Big Brother, but it is ok, it is just your friends and the CIA watching you: I cherish my privacy.

I don't like to write information about myself that anybody can have access to in my profile. I don't want people to put pictures of me on FB and tag them, but I can't act on it if they do. Facebook is a trap. It is out of control partly because of the people.

Whether you like it or not, you are always being judged. People ~ aka your "friends" ~ judge you on what you say about you on FB, and what you don't say. Why don't you want EVERYBODY to know you? DON'T YOU HAVE A LIFE? Why won't you let me tag you, it is fun?

Because it is PRIVATE!!!!!!! Wait, does that word still exist? Does it have a meaning or is it completely outdated? I wonder. Call me an old fart, but I do like my privacy. Which is why I do my best to protect it.


Facebook does not have to be a mirror of your life. It is your choice.

"old-fashioned real-world concepts such as art, beauty, love, pleasure and truth" do not have their place on Facebook. FB is artproof, loveproof and truthproof, if you understand what I mean...
Does it mat­ter to you if the US gov­ern­ment is keep­ing tabs on you through on line social media?

The invest­ment branch of the
CIA, In-Q-Tel, has just started pour­ing money into a Vis­i­ble Tech­nolo­gies, a soft­ware firm the spe­cial­izes in fil­ter­ing the Internet. Vis­i­ble pro­vides cus­tomers with a feed of whats being said about.…anything, on-line, right now. Cus­tomers put in a few key­words and the web inter­face for Vis­i­ble gives graphs, trends, and even data on who’s say­ing what. We’re all ranked! Based on how “influ­en­tial” the soft­ware thinks we are.

Is this news? Or fear-mongering? Is it not a fore­gone con­clu­sion, given the open plat­form of the Internet, that inter­ested par­ties will be rifling through the inane detri­tus of our on line ram­blings search­ing for the next trend, fad, or flop? Or, more ominously, our political ramblings and favourite tooth paste. Busi­nesses have been doing this for a long time. Why are we helping them now?

So who here on the web doesn’t already know the maxim, “Don’t put any­thing online that you wouldn’t want your Grand­mother to read.”? Well, know we can say, “Don’t put any­thing on-line that you wouldn’t want the CIA to read.” With that in mind, is any­thing dif­fer­ent? Not a thing.

The pas­siv­ity of the sys­tem ires me somewhat. What’s the fun of read­ing all our posts if you aren’t going to con­tribute some­thing, a com­ment, a “Like”. The CIA will not just be a lurker. They’ll be a leech. And nobody likes a leech.

via CIA branch invests in tech firm that mon­i­tors blogs, Twit­ter, social media..



We say that we are not in favour of our lives becoming more and more controlled, our every action filmed and our every breath monitored. So why are people just GIVING away every detail of their lives to both the world and the CIA? Why are we giving marketing groups access to our thoughts and aspirations so that they can create the perfect demographic advertising to target specific groups with near perfect precision?

The above is very interesting clip on the popular website Facebook. Includes who has money in it, its origins (including US government offices) and their privacy policies and terms of agreement which state they can use and profit from any of the information you post on the site. Check it out!


When Alexander Solzhenitsyn was arrested by Stalin's political police, his captors got lost.Solzhenitsyn, a war hero (Stalin distrusted and hated war heroes), showed them how to read the map and get to where they were going.

That's what millions of Americans are doing now. Putting far more personal information that they should about themselves on-line for easy mining.


When one is young, one might carelessly toss photographs and stories that might eventually cost a job or some other detrimental happening. That material is always there and potential employers often check applicants in FaceBook to learn what they are like when not "in best behaviour I need a job" mode.


This theft of information of individuals to be appalling. The thought that through my few visits to my daughters' sites and friends, (I go on maybe once a month) someone can find my hydro bill is just plain wrong. Or my banking information. I have avoided using my pc for any financial exchanges for just that reason. Does no one else think this is wrong?

Creationist "Discovery" Institute Busted.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If your comment is not posted, it was deemed offensive.