As horrendous as these images are, as with those charged in Abu Ghraib's exposure, these men serve as patsies to take the heat off the real culprits, their superiors who assuredly knew what their men were up to.
It is also hypocritical when you consider that the crimes of the Blackwater thugs go by unpunished. And if the people do take punishment into their own hands, you end up with a Falujah.
I warrant the real sorrow in this, on behalf of the U.S. army is that some of the "good ole' "merican" boys got caught ~ because they were dumb enough to be photographed in the act.
The arrests and trials of American soldiers caught for crimes that we may never know the full extent of, the accusations, killing for sport, taking gruesome photographs, collecting fingers as trophies, is “meat” for the media. It will sell papers, it will bring TV viewers.
Are these young men serial killers, criminal psychopaths, or “boys out for a good time and things got a bit out of hand?” Do we blame them or the America’s failed attempt to build a permanent wartime standing army, replacing traditions with cheap politics and “revival tent” religion?
Some argue that it wasn’t them but their environment that was responsible but we all know that is just claptrap. We also know that this isn’t the first time this has happened. The stories, all verified, of kidnapping and rape as with Dr. Aafia or dragging detainees behind vehicles, torturing them with power tools or flying them to the ends of the earth, Egypt, Bulgaria, Poland, “one way trips” that no “detainee” has ever returned from or has ever survived, are no different than the crimes these men are standing trial for.
We can not ignore the fact that over 75% of our “terrorist detainees” are the wrong people, simply “mistaken identity.” The remaining 25% are waiting for court dates for release. Estimates that as low as 5% of those captured, detained, really kidnapped, during the Bush administration were ever involved in anything. These facts, not published but real, are the results of court records open to every American.
How many are we killing each day in Afghanistan? Are Predator unmanned aircraft randomly wiping out Afghanistan and sections of Pakistan, village by village? Much of the world thinks so and nobody has been able to prove them wrong.
Five or ten years from now,how many countries will be exhuming mass graves,sites of victims of America’s psychopaths?
There is no difference between Morlock and Holmes and the Special Forces squads doing exactly the same thing. The only difference is using known unreliable intelligence, let me correct that, known “gossip” as a basis for executing civilians or doing it for entertainment. These men were doing what they were taught. Murder and hate became “policy” for the military when Donald Rumsfeld, an ignorant extremist bigot, was chosen by President Bush to head our armed forces.
Who do we blame? We blame the Commander in Chief. He knew what he had inherited, a sick and dysfunctional institution of bottom-feeders, fanatics and fools, morally bankrupt cowards and bullies hiding behind a uniform and a bible.
We all knew it, every one of us. Meanwhile, the lower ranks pay so that the American military can show the world that it indeed punishes the "bad seed" of the troops.
The photographs were published yesterday by Germany’s Der Spiegel magazine and were among 4,000 they have obtained.
Police arrest 35 protesters outside U.S. military base where 'WikiLeaks whistleblower' Bradley Manning is held
Der Spiegel magazine says it has identified one of the soldiers in the photographs as Cpl Jeremy Morlock of Alaska.
He is one of five soldiers accused of the premeditated murder of three Afghan civilians earlier this year.
Morlock agreed to plead guilty in late February and get a shorter prison term if he testified against the other accused soldiers.
Four other soldiers based at Joint Base Lewis-McChord have been charged with murder and conspiracy in the case ~ they deny the charges.
Seven others have been charged with conspiracy to cover up the alleged murders.